High algae levels prompt estuary shellfish warning

The Shire of Murray is urging residents and visitors to avoid eating all wild shellfish from the Peel-Harvey Estuary.

Filter feeding shellfish absorb the algae, which is capable of producing toxins.

Cooking cannot destroy the toxins and the shellfish could cause poisoning if consumed.

Symptoms of shellfish poisoning include nausea, cramping, vomiting and diarrhoea.

‘The Shire continues to work closely with the Department of Water and Health to monitor algae levels in the estuary,’ chief executive Dean Unsworth said.

Anyone who has consumed shellfish from these waters and experiences poisoning symptoms should seek medical attention.

Wild shellfish from inland water sources should not be eaten, as water quality and safe consumption can not be guaranteed.

These species include oysters, mussels, clams, pipis, scallops, cockles and razor clams.

Shellfish purchased in supermarkets are not affected as these products must adhere to food quality assurance programs to ensure they are safe for consumption.

For more information contact the Shire of Murray on 9531 7777 or visit the Department of Health website for further details regarding wild shellfish collection.