Taj on Swan block set for auction after subdivision fails to attract buyers

The infamous Taj on the Swan was subdivided into six blocks but failed to attract buyers. The whole block was set to be auctioned on May 27.
The infamous Taj on the Swan was subdivided into six blocks but failed to attract buyers. The whole block was set to be auctioned on May 27.

THE controversial Taj on Swan superblock in Peppermint Grove will be auctioned next month after subdivision into six lots failed to attract enough individual buyers.

The 6582sq m block has stood vacant since October, when the partly built $70 million mansion was demolished after a six-year battle between owners Radhika and Pankaj Oswal and the Australian Taxation Office.

When the superblock did not sell for the asking price of $20 million, it was subdivided into six lots earlier this year, with asking prices from $3.9 million to $4.2 million.

Prominent western suburbs real estate agent Vivien Yap said the “most famous block in Australia” would go under the hammer on Saturday, May 27.

“We’ve had some interest locally, as well as over east and Asia, but not enough genuine interest,” she said.

“We are going to auction so we can really rejuvenate it, that’s what we need to do.”

Ms Yap hoped the auction attracted a lot of interest on the day.

“It will be one of the biggest auctions in the western suburbs’ history for residential,” she said.

“We will ramp up our advertising even more after Anzac Day, as it is school holidays and many people are away.

“We are hoping for big crowds.”

She remained tight-lipped about the price, but conceded $20 million was unlikely.

“We will release the final reserve closer to (the time on) the day,” she said.

“Let’s just get this across the line.”

MORE: Perth Observatory has history written in the stars

MORE: Rottnest Island Authority boss wants new businesses and experiences on island

MORE: Korean War veteran now a South Korean Ambassador for Peace

MORE: Morley community garden group faces eviction