Australia Post backflip on post box removal in Canning

Canning councillor Jesse Jacobs with the Campbell Street post box in East Cannington, which was slated for removal. Picture: Jon Hewson.
Canning councillor Jesse Jacobs with the Campbell Street post box in East Cannington, which was slated for removal. Picture: Jon Hewson.

AUSTRALIA Post has back-flipped on its decision to remove three post boxes from Canning’s Mason Ward – despite one box getting just a handful of items a month.

In an article published by the Canning Times yesterday, an Australia Post spokesman said post boxes must get an average of 25 articles a day to be financially viable.

However today, City of Canning councillor Jesse Jacobs received an email from Australia Post to let him know that all three of the street post boxes in his council ward would now be retained.

Cr Jacobs had contacted Australia Post when he first noticed a sign tacked onto the post box at 1 Campbell Street in East Cannington, which was due for removal due to low volume on July 10.

He complained to Australia Post because the post box was opposite the site of a recently approved $12 million development.

Cr Jacobs’s view had the support of Swan MHR Steve Irons, who agreed the decision to get rid of the box should be reviewed.

He also raised the matter with the City of Canning’s acting chief executive and relevant directors.

Two other boxes, one in Queens Park near the shops and one near the old Cannington Train Station will also be retained – despite also having low volumes of post.

An audit in April showed the Campbell Street box received 13 items, the Railway Parade box had just five items posted through it, and the Queens Park box on Treasure Road received 11 items.

All had been listed for removal and had signs of them to notify residents.

Community consultation by Australia Post involves notification to the local politician, and signs on the affected street posting boxes for at least 30 days to give the community a chance to have their say regarding the proposed changes.

No objections were received during the original consultation process and all three boxes had an alternative within a 2km radius.

Cr Jacobs said he knew of 13 boxes earmarked for removal across several southern suburbs while Brand MHR Madeline King and her local community successfully fought to retain a post box in Baldivis recently.

Australia Post has no program to remove boxes, but the needs of the communities were constantly being monitored.