Australian Veterinary Association sends warning to pet owners about feeding Xmas leftovers

Australian Veterinary Association sends warning to pet owners about feeding Xmas leftovers

THE Australian Veterinary Association has advised pet owners to be careful about the leftovers they feed their animals during the Christmas period.

Foods to avoid include chocolate, which is toxic to dogs and cats, even in small quantities and avocadoes, which contain dangerous toxins that can damage the heart, lungs and tissue of many different animals.

Other festive fare toxic to dogs includes turkey skin, pork crackling, sausages and other fatty meats, which can all lead to inflammation of the pancreas due to the high fat content.

Condiments such as onions and garlic can cause gastric irritation and anaemia if they are consumed in large quantities and nutmeg, one of the lesser-known poisonous foods can cause tremors, seizures, issues with the nervous system and even death.

Small items such as grapes and raisins can cause acute kidney failure in dogs and macadamia nuts can cause vomiting, hyperthermia and elevated heart.

Synthetic sweetener also causes injury to pets.

If you suspect your pet has eaten something toxic you should contact a veterinarian immediately.