Decision on draft Willetton Precinct Master Plan to be one of the last acts of current City of Canning council

Decision on draft Willetton Precinct Master Plan to be one of the last acts of current City of Canning council

THE release of a draft Willetton Precinct Master Plan will be one of the last acts of the current council before Saturday’s election heralds new councillors.

Tonight, council is expected to discuss the draft master plan and advertise it for a three-week period from early November, up from the 14 days originally proposed.

The precinct master plan replaces the controversial Burrendah Master Plan drafted several years ago.

At the time, members of the public were concerned the Burrendah plan would add more public housing, that traffic concerns would worsen, and the local childcare centre would have to move at its own cost.

There was also a perception that private land would be reclassified for higher density housing or commercial purposes.

On 26 August 2016, the City employed a lead consultant for the newly-named Willetton Precinct Master Plan and work began September last year.

The draft plan requires the removal of two tennis courts to be shared with netball courts, the skate park’s relocation and better pedestrian safety.

It proposes a new civic building, 90 more car bays, and the number of shopping centre entrances reduced with right-hand turning pockets removed where possible.

Southlands Boulevarde Centre Manager said the centre was working closely with the City on the precinct master plan.

“Southlands Boulevarde is a vibrant shopping centre and an important part of the community, any changes made to the centre will be done in consultation with the owners and the City of Canning council,” he said.

Willetton Basketball Association’s Phil Nixon said it was also closely involved in the public consultation process and it was very happy with the outcome.

“Each version considered included an expanded stadium,” Mr Nixon said.

“The final version, incorporating toilets and change rooms for other sports on the nearby playing fields makes good sense and optimises the stadium expansion opportunity to service other sports as well in our view,” Mr Nixon said.

But the stadium cannot expand until funding is secured, so it has made an application to the latest round of Community Sport and Recreation Funding and is waiting on federal government support.

MORE: SES gets 52 call outs as wild weather blows over trees

MORE: Cities of Perth and Vincent commit to Australia Day events

MORE: Entwined in the Valley: thousands sample the best of the Swan Valley