East Cannington shops labelled a safety hazard demolished

Councillor Jesse Jacobs is pleased derelict shops in East Cannington have been demolished.
Councillor Jesse Jacobs is pleased derelict shops in East Cannington have been demolished.

RANSACKED shops in East Cannington labelled a safety hazard were demolished earlier this month after an article published in the Canning Times on July 11.

Canning councillor Jesse Jacobs, who went public about his safety concerns about the derelict building on Campbell Street, said he was grateful the site has been cleared.

“I think in no small way the story helped speed the process along,” he said.

“It is great that residents got the result they wanted.”

The building was opposite Gibbs Street Primary School and next to a playground and Cr Jacobs was concerned children would enter the derelict building and hurt themselves.

“I am not claiming responsibility for a good outcome but I was glad that I could assist in the process,” he said.

Nicheliving Group general manager Damian Liberatore said the article in the Canning Times was not the reason the block was cleared.

“The plan was to always clear the site as soon as we took possession/settlement,” he said.

Mr Liberatore said Kingsway Project Pty Ltd had recently bought the lots and intended to develop the site into house and land packages, apartments and some commercial outlets, including the potential for a medical centre.

He said work on the site was expected to start in six months.

MORE: Two injured following southern suburbs police chase

MORE: Two men charged after graffiti attack on Supreme Court

MORE: Burns attack victim Dana Vulin says she has ‘no time to hate’

MORE: All star line-up for Falls Downtown revealed