A FIRE has engulfed a Ferndale home and damaged the house next door this morning, with the cost of damage estimated to be more than half a million dollars.
A Department of Fire and Emergency Services spokesperson said a single-storey brick and tin roof house on Metcalfe Road, near the intersection of Clovelly Crescent, caught on fire.
“We had a call come in at 9.50am,” he said.
“The body of the fire looks to have started in the patio or garage area.
“It looked like the house next door briefly caught on fire as well.”
The DFES spokesperson said the fire caused an estimated $500,000 in damages to the Ferndale home and a further estimated $20,000 in damages to the structure next door.
— Sam Still Reading (@samstillreading) November 22, 2019
A St John Ambulance spokesperson said an elderly man was treated at the scene for minor smoke inhalation but was not transported to hospital.
The fire was extinguished by 1.17pm but DFES have issued a Structure Fire advice for Ferndale residents.
“People are asked to avoid the area due to the presence of asbestos,” the advice says.
Roads have been reopened but motorists are asked to avoid the area as emergency services monitor the area.
Eight fire appliances were at the scene.
WHAT TO DO:
As a precautionary measure, people in the area should remain inside, out of the smoke or fumes, with doors and windows closed. Air conditioners should also be switched off.
People should stay away from the area. If you are already in the area take advice from emergency services personnel.
People with medical concerns should contact their local doctor or call Health Direct on 1800 022 222.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit www.emergency.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dfes_wa, Facebook: https://facebook.com/dfeswa/, listen to ABC Local Radio or listen to news bulletins.
Road information may also be available by calling Main Roads WA on 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au.