RIVERTON MLA Mike Nahan is not happy with the final concept plan for the Murdoch Drive connection released January 22, claiming it had been sabotaged by politics.
Dr Nahan says the approved plan is significantly different from the initial proposal.
“It beggars belief that $100 million will be spent building a southern access route to the Murdoch Precinct, but the Government has deliberately chosen a design that will not fix a number of major problems in order to placate a noisy minority,” Dr Nahan said.
“The changes will have a significant impact by limiting access to Roe Highway and Kwinana Freeway, ensuring continued congestion on South Street and rat runs on Farrington Road in Leeming.”
The $100 million project will extend Murdoch Drive south from Farrington Road with connections to Roe Highway and Kwinana Freeway and was first announced in May last year then altered before the January 2018 release.
A second community display will be held at Stockland Bull Creek Shopping Centre on February 10.
The project will reduce peak congestion on Murdoch Drive, South Street and Kwinana Freeway from 2019.
The Federal Government is providing $92.5 million and the State Government $7.5 million.
Canning Times’ attempts to contact Rita Saffioti’s office for comment went unanswered.