Willetton shop Household Appliances gutted by fire overnight

Household Appliances in Willetton.
Household Appliances in Willetton.

PARTS and repair shop Household Appliances on Moonie Street in Willetton was gutted late last night, with nearby workers and business owners working late pitching in to help combat the blaze.

“I heard snapping, popping and groaning around midnight,” Chester Edwards said.

He was working late on software, with the music up, at Jet Flight Simulator.

He and a business owner used five fire extinguishers between them to combat the fire.

“We slowed it down a bit,” Mr Edwards said.

Arson Squad Detective Senior Constable Fred Volpi said those nearby heard bangs and glass breaking.

“We know the fire was deliberately lit, with the glass smashed first and an accelerant was used,” he said.

The fire started in the reception area, with an estimated damage bill of $80,000.

Department of Fire and Emergency Services personnel cut through the roller door to gain entry after they were called at 12.20am.

The Arson Squad today is testing samples from the site and asking nearby businesses for any CCTV footage.

MORE: Local councillors and CEOs omitted from State Government wage freeze

MORE: Man who stole rock lobster pots and crayfish fined, has boat seized, banned from holding rock lobster licence

MORE: How to spot mental health issues in your child