A MAN accused of a shooting an associate in the throat in Perth, sparking a four-day manhunt has had a warrant issued for his arrest after he failed to appear in court after being granted bail.
Anthony James Valentino, 41, allegedly shot a man aged in his 30s in the throat during a fight at a home in Maddington on Wednesday.
Police issued a call for information about Valentino’s whereabouts, warning members of the public not to approach him as he may be armed.
He was arrested in South Perth on Sunday and held in custody overnight.
When he faced Armadale Magistrates Court on Monday, he was granted bail unopposed, despite the weapon not being found.
Valentino was due to face court on Tuesday over a string of other charges including not reporting an accident to police, fraud and stealing, but did not show up.
The matter was temporarily held off and when it was recalled, his lawyer said his client had sent a text claiming he’d gone to the hospital with chest pains.
The police prosecutor said Valentino’s bail should be revoked and the magistrate issued a warrant for his arrest.
The WA Police Force conceded earlier that their prosecutor on Monday should have opposed bail.
“That did not happen and the circumstances behind why that did not happen will be reviewed,” a spokeswoman said in a statement.
“The final decision regarding bail rests with the courts and WA Police Force does not comment on the court’s decision.”
Police Minister Michelle Roberts said she was disappointed Valentino had been released back into the community and was seeking an explanation from Commissioner Chris Dawson.
Premier Mark McGowan said it was “very, very strange and disturbing” the bail bid was approved.
“The court has let him loose … the state government can’t influence that but I would urge the police to monitor him very, very carefully,” Mr McGowan told reporters.
“I was surprised and disturbed, and I don’t understand why this has happened, and we’ll seek advice from the police as to why no application to keep him in was made.”