Swimming spot closed amid deadly bacteria fears

Serpentine Falls.
Serpentine Falls.

A POPULAR Perth swimming spot is closed after a potentially deadly bacteria was found in the water.

Water sampling at Serpentine Falls detected a bacteria, Naegleria Fowleri, which can cause an infection known as Amoebic meningitis.

On its website, the Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale said amoebic meningitis was rare but could be a fatal disease.

“Infection occurs where water is forced into a person’s nose at pressure from jumping, falling or diving into the water,” the warning states.

“If you or someone you know has been swimming at Serpentine Falls and are experiencing any of these symptoms, please contact a medical professional.”

Amoebic meningitis causes inflammation and eventual destruction of the brain and brain linings, according to the Department of Health on its website.

Symptoms which usually occur within five days of infection include severe and persistent headache, high fever, sore throat, nausea, vomiting, neck stiffness, confusion and hallucinations, drowsiness and a coma.

More information about Amoebic Meningitis is available on the Department of Health website.

For further alert updates, please refer to the Parks and Wildlife Service webpage or contact the Parks and Wildlife Mundaring office on 9525 2128 or email mundaring@dbca.wa.gov.au.

More news

Fish and chips key in shark conservation

Toxic Perth seafood warning extended