Cricket: Armadale Cricket Club celebrates double grand final success

Cricket: Armadale Cricket Club celebrates double grand final success

ARMADALE Cricket Club claimed two grand final victories, including its first two-day flag in 21 years.

First grade completed an incredible, come-from-behind victory in the flagship event, while the club’s One Day E side also won its grand final.

Unfortunately, there was no such luck for the One Day F outfit, who was unable to claim honours in its final.

After winning the toss and electing to bat against Leeming, Armadale’s first graders looked to be in trouble when they fell to 6-57.

They regrouped as captain Damian Carroll (36) and Jake Forsyth (48) salvaged the innings and allowed Armadale to finish with a respectable 153.

MORE: Claremont serial killings accused makes court appearance 

MORE: Mandurah man gets five years jail for cocaine importation

MORE: Second woman jailed for Baldivis pharmacy robbery 

Despite losing two quick wickets on day two, Leeming looked comfortable at 3-121 and it seemed a matter of time before it chased down Armadale’s total.

However, Mark Rice etched his name into club folklore with an inspired spell, taking 5-0 from six overs to help dismiss Leeming for 137 and secure a stunning title victory.

One Day E secured the premiership over Phoenix in comprehensive fashion and looked to be cruising at 3-118.

Some great bowling from their opponents reduced them to 6-140, before they collapsed to finish with 149.

Phoenix started strongly in response, but a quick-fire double from Rhett Jones saw it fall to 4-45.

Jimmy McClure chipped in with the ball and an Armadale victory looked a sure thing at 9-83.

Despite some inspired late resistance, Phoenix was eventually dismissed for 131 as Armadale celebrated its triumph.

Unfortunately, One Day F’s were unable to make it three wins from three, despite reducing Willetton to 6-79.

Their opponents refused to give in and finished with a commendable 8-175, before their bowlers left Armadale at 3-53.

Despite Josh Pilkington’s unbeaten 44, his side was dismissed for 129 and left to rue what might have been.