Cricket: Serpentine Jarrahdale Blues’ two-day sides all face tough tests on second day of matches

SJ Blues first grade batsman Kane Hoskin late cuts a delivery during his knock of 27.
SJ Blues first grade batsman Kane Hoskin late cuts a delivery during his knock of 27.

SERPENTINE Jarrahdale Blues’ three two-day sides face uphill battles for victory midway through their South Metropolitan Cricket Association matches.

The Blues’ first, third and sixth Grade sides all found themselves in difficult situations at stumps on day one after all batting first.

First grade initially fought its way into a strong position against league leaders CBC, thanks to a free-flowing knock of 74 from opener John Murphy, who was ably supported by Kane Hoskin (27) and Damian Leipold (18).

However, some poor shot selections saw them collapse from a promising 1-107 to all out for 149, leaving them in a disappointing position at stumps.

Third grade also faced a strong CBC side and were bowled out for 109 in the 56th over.

Brad Chalmers (24), Matthew Hillyard (21) and Phillip Hicks (17 not out) all battled hard for the Blues, who could only restrict their opponents to 2-41 at stumps.

A win against fifth-placed Kenwick would see the second-placed sixth grade side qualify for the finals, but a loss would see it miss finals altogether.

Opener Ryan Makarov (43) got his side off to a solid start with a measured innings, but other than Bryce Shersby (31), no other batsman could craft a big innings as the Blues were dismissed for 166, setting up an important day two.

Meanwhile, the 1C side travelled to Kwinana determined to win and avoid the wooden spoon and looked good early, reducing the hosts to 6-113.

However, they picked up the pace and ended their innings on 186, despite the impressive Yash Bassran snaring 3-3 from one over.

The target was well beyond the Blues, who could only muster 8-105 from their 40 overs, despite Nav Singh’s battling 35.

MORE: High Wycombe Primary School closed after ‘extensive’ break-in

MORE: Mosman Park apartment fire causes $1 million damage

MORE: City of Perth council officially suspended