Premier Grade Rugby: Southern Lions break ARKS hearts

ARKS’ First Grade captain Russell Burgess on the break.
ARKS’ First Grade captain Russell Burgess on the break.

ARKS Rugby Union Club have suffered a heartbreaking 50-45 loss to Southern Lions at Harrisdale Field.

A last-gasp try in the final minute saw the Lions steal victory in a see-sawing game and deny ARKS their second win of the Premier Grade season.

The loss left ARKS third-bottom after their opening seven games in the top competition.

Despite fielding arguably their strongest side of the year, ARKS fell behind to two early tries before Kiti Nairube went over for the hosts.

Cameron Orr levelled the scores for ARKS at 12 apiece, only for their opponents to hit back with another two tries to extend their lead.

However, converted tries to Orr and Willtz Tuheke late in the half saw ARKS lead 26-24 at half time.

The scoring onslaught continued in the second half, as Orr grabbed his hat-trick before the Lions hit back with a converted try of their own.

Further tries to Harrison Orr and Andrew Robson saw the ARKS continue to pile on the points, but the visitors refused to go away, and a superb solo try in the last minute allowed the Lions to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

It was another tough day for ARKS’ Reserve team as they fell 45-7 to Southern Lions.

Despite Tyson Lewis’ early try, the hosts were under the pump all day long against a skilled Lions side who jumped out to a 26-7 lead at half time and never looked back.

However, there was good news for ARKS’ Third Grade side, who claimed their first win of the season 49-7 over the Lions.

Blair Gibbons led the way with a try and six conversions in the first half as the home team raced out to a 42-7 lead at the main break, before adding another converted try in the second half to seal the rout.

MORE: Search called off for elderly man overboard on Sun Princess cruise ship

MORE: Mandurah woman claims barber shop denied her haircut because of her gender

MORE: Decapitated kangaroo found