Rugby Union: Arks finish season with mixed results

Sean Davis on the break with Faa Matuanuao in support.
Sean Davis on the break with Faa Matuanuao in support.

THE Arks B Grade side finished their regular season with a 35-point win against Perth Irish in windy conditions at the John Dunn Oval last Saturday.

Arks scored first with a penalty after starting the game playing into the wind.

Irish answered with their own soon after but Arks got its backline into the action and a great movement involving the whole backline saw the ball cross the field and Sean Davis crossed out wide to score under the posts.

The good form continued with the score at half time 24–3.

The second half was a bit tighter with Perth Irish tightening their play but the Davis brothers managed one try each with Arks going on to win 38-3.

Tries: S Davis 2, W Brown, P Ashworth, C Davis 1 each. Kicks: S Davis 5 conversions, 1 penalty.

In the A Grade clash, Arks were short of players and were up against a fresh Perth Irish side.

Arks started well after Takuta scored a long-range intercept try, which was finished off by Davis adding the goal and a penalty.

Perth Irish then started to get on top through their big forward pack and Arks gave away too many penalties, which resulted in a halftime score of 10-6 in the Arks’ favour.

The second half started well with Arks earning a penalty early on.

But the fresher Perth Irish side started to make ground helped by some dubious work in the rucks and mauls frustrating the Arks players.

The frustration finally boiled over when Perth Irish scored their first try and a melee broke out with Arks getting a red card and a yellow while Perth Irish players went unpunished.

With a 15-13 advantage, Perth Irish managed two tries before Arks responded and finished the game well.

The final score was Arks 13 to Perth Irish 21

Try: S Takuta 1, Kicks: S Davis 1 conversion, 2 penalties.

In the women’s game, Arks had 13 players available for their clash against top side Wanneroo, fielding a full-strength team and reserves.

The Arks women played well and threatened to score several times but Wanneroo were too strong and able to rotate players to keep them fresh.

The final score was Arks 0 to Wanneroo 39, which was a creditable performance from the women in the circumstances.

There are no more games this season and Arks thanks those players involved this difficult season.

Touch rugby will be starting at John Dunn in the off-season and Arks will be recruiting strongly for 2017.