by Garum Perth head chef Mario Di Natale
3kg pork belly
2 garlic cloves
5g cloves ground
5g nutmeg ground
5g star anise ground
100g sage leaves
400g flat leaf parsley
100g Grana Padano cheese grated
100ml olive oil
Cracked black pepper
1. Place the garlic, spices, herbs, olive oil and cheese in a food processor and process until well combined.
Season with salt and pepper, cover and set aside.
2. Lay the pork belly out, skin side down. From one end, remove the meat from the skin to about halfway.
Season the meat with salt and pepper, spread the herb paste out evenly, roll the pork meat over its self into a log, then fold over the skin to cover.
This is done so the skin is not rolled into the centre of the porchetta.
3. Cut four pieces of butcher’s twine long enough to tie the pork.
Lay the twine at even intervals on a bench and then place the rolled pork onto the twine.
Bring up each piece of twine and tie a knot to secure the pork firmly so the pork holds its shape during the cooking process.
Season the pork skin with salt and leave uncovered in the fridge for 24 hours to dry out the skin.
4. Pre heat a fan-forced oven to 170*C
5. Place a wire rack inside a roasting tray.
Place the porchetta on the rack with the seam down, drizzle with olive oil.
Cook in the oven for 2 hours, 30 minutes until the skin is crackling and the meat is soft and tender.
6. Remove from the oven and allow the porchetta to rest for 15 minutes before carving.