THE AFL finals season is here but that does not mean it has to be all meat pies and footy franks.
The LiveLighter WA team has put together some healthy snack option recipes for hosting an AFL finals footy party.
HEALTHY CHICKEN PIZZA
2 wholemeal or wholegrain wraps
2 tbs passata (tomato puree)
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
180 g cooked chicken, shredded
1/2 capsicum, thinly sliced
5 cherry tomatoes, halved
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
1/2 cup reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
1 cup baby spinach leaves
1 carrot, thinly sliced
1/2 cucumber, chopped
1) Preheat oven to 220C (200C fan-forced).
2) Spread tomato paste evenly over pizza base. Top with sliced onion, chicken, capsicum strips and tomato. Sprinkle with mixed herbs and cheese and place on a baking tray, pizza stone or wire rack.
3) Bake for 5 minutes until cheese is melted, then cover with foil to prevent burning. Bake for a further 5 minutes until base is crisp.
4) Serve with a simple salad of baby spinach, carrot and cucumber.
Make mini pizzas on English muffin halves.
Other excellent toppings include mushrooms, pineapple, olives and kidney beans
HEALTHY LO FAT PITA CRISPS
6 lebanese pita bread
olive or canola oil spray
1 tbs smoked paprika
1) Preheat oven to 180C.
2) Spray each side of the lebanese bread with olive oil spray.
3) Sprinkle spice on one side of the bread.
4) Cut each pita bread into 8 even sized triangles.
5) Place in a single layer on 2 lined baking trays.
6) Bake for 5-10 minutes or until bread is crisp.
7) Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool, then serve with dips and vegetable sticks.
HEALTHY HUMMUS FOUR WAYS
1/2 clove garlic, peeled
1 400 g can no-added-salt chickpeas
1 tbs hulled tahini paste
2 tbs olive oil
2 tbs lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin, optional
to taste pepper and salt
1) Mince or grate the garlic. If you are using a food processor with a small bowl you can use it to do the garlic too.
2) Drain and rinse the chickpeas and add to the food processor with the other ingredients.
3) Blitz the ingredients (except pepper and salt), adding a tablespoon of very cold water at a time to help it blend. Keep adding water and blitzing until it’s smooth and a texture you like.
4) Taste and season with pepper and salt if required.
Add 1 cup (175 g) roasted pumpkin and 2 cloves roasted garlic.
Beetroot and Mint
Add 225g tin of beetroot, drained (or roasted beetroot) and fresh mint.
Add 2 tablespoons olives and 2 tablespoons sundried tomatoes.