WITH Easter fast approaching, it’s time to indulge in a sweet treat or two.
Chocolates and hot cross buns are a delicious combination so what can you do with any leftovers.
Chef Sophie Budd has come up with a French toast recipe that’ll be sure to delight come Easter Monday morning.
Budd will hold a demonstration of the recipe at Belmont Forum on Saturday April 20 at 11am.
Hot Cross Bun French Toast
2 eggs, lightly beaten
80 ml milk
2 tbsp thick cream
1 tsp cocoa powder, sifted
2 tsp caster sugar
4 traditional hot cross buns
For the Sauce
300 g dark chocolate
300 ml cream
1. Place the egg, milk, cream, cocoa powder and sugar in a bowl and whisk until well combined.
2. Cut hot cross buns in half and dip into mixture, then set aside to soak for 5 minutes.
3. Melt butter in a large frying pan over medium heat, then add hot cross buns and cook until golden brown on each side.
4. For the sauce, put the chocolate and cream in a small pot and melt over low heat.
5. Pour sauce over cooked hot cross buns while warm and serve.