AUSTRALIAN and international chefs jumped on board to help celebrate national beef expo Beef Australia 2018 in Rockhampton this week.
Celebrity chefs such as Curtis Stone, Adrian Richardson, Ben O’Donoghue, Dominique Rizzo and Matt Golinski cooked a delicious selection of their favourite beef recipes and have shared their secrets for you to replicate at home.
Perth-raised O’Donoghue now owns BillyKart in Brisbane and gave the low-down on cooking his tasty black pepper beef stir-fry.
BEN O’DONOGHUE’S BLACK PEPPER BEEF STIR-FRY
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking: 20 minutes
500g beef fillet, cut into thin strips
2 tbsp corn flour
2 tbsp sunflower oil for frying
2 green capsicums cut into strips
2 bunch of broccolini bottom end removed, cut in half
1 bunch green onions finely chopped
4 bulbs spring onions – onion part only, cut into 3cm lengths
For the sauce
40ml ketchup manis
40ml oyster sauce
40ml light soy sauce
10g red chilli
3 spring onions finely sliced
10g cracked black pepper
1/4 cup curry leaves
Coriander sprigs and lime wedges to serve
1. Combine the ketchup manis, oyster sauce, soy in a small bowl. Pound the garlic, ginger and chilli in a pestle mortar or a food processor to a smooth paste. Add the cracked pepper. Heat the sunflower oil in a wok. Fry the curry leaves and then fry the white spring onions and spice paste until fragrant. Add the soy mix and bring to the boil, add the butter and whisk together.
2. Toss the beef in the corn flour to coat and season with salt and pepper.
3. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a wok to high and quickly sear the beef in 2 batches, then remove and wipe the pan out for the vegetables.
4. Again heat 1 tbsp of oil in a wok to high and add the onion bulbs with a splash of beef stock to get them cooking. Next add broccoli and stir fry for 2 minutes before adding the capsicums.
5. When the vegetables are wilting, add the cooked beef back to the wok and stir in 3 tbsp black pepper sauce. Continue to stir on the heat until the vegetables are well coated, then remove and serve immediately with steamed rice, coriander sprigs and lime wedges.