Bassendean councillors reject mobile concrete batching plant application again

Bayswater Council will abide by the SAT's decision that applicants be awarded more than $112,000
Bayswater Council will abide by the SAT's decision that applicants be awarded more than $112,000

TOWN of Bassendean councillors rejected the application for a proposed mobile concrete batching plant at last night’s council meeting.

Council reconsidered the application despite voting to defer its decision last month, as the Town was required to send witness statements to the State Administrative Tribunal (SAT) by November 11.

Ten conditions were added to the initial application including operating hours restricted to 6am to 6pm from Monday to Saturday, an annual output limited to 105,300 cubic metres and a truck wash-down area being provided.

Town officers recommended council approve the development application.

However, councillors remained concerned about the absence of the proposed settling ponds to combat mosquitoes in the designs and wastewater management.

Councillor Paul Bridges moved an alternate motion to reject the application on the grounds council was not satisfied with the wastewater management and the development plans.

Development services manager Brian Reed said the new conditions were drafted similar to the proposed batching plant on Collier Road in the City of Bayswater.

He said the developers and SAT would consider the conditions if council approved the application.

Mayor John Gangell said the application would now be determined by SAT.

Town officers will attend the final SAT hearings on December 5 and 6.