Bennett Brook Disability Justice Centre sits empty while security upgrades take place

Bennett Brook Disability Justice Centre sits empty while security upgrades take place

BENNETT Brook Disability Justice Centre is currently sitting empty in Lockridge while security upgrades take place.

The $640,000 upgrade will include the installation of a 4.5m wall, an anti-dig plinth, structural enhancements and improved motion detection technology.

A detainee scaled the fence and escaped from the centre on May 8 before the upgrade of the wall.

It was the second escape since two residents escaped on New Year’s Eve, triggering a helicopter and police search.

Disability Services Commission’s director-general Ron Chalmers confirmed during a budget estimates committee in Parliament last week that the centre was now empty.

He said the two residents transferred on May 20 and the centre was set to be empty for more than three months until August 10.

Dr Chalmers said the change of custody orders were put in place by the Mentally Impaired Accused Review Board.

The pair, accused of a crime but mentally unfit to stand trial, were back in the care of the Department of Corrective Services.

Bassendean MLA Dave Kelly said after spending $8.5 million, the centre would now lay empty for three months while the Government spent more money trying to make it secure.

Disability Services parliamentary secretary Andrea Mitchell said she intended to arrange a meeting with community representatives to discuss the recent escape.