Festival director Paul Fletcher estimated festival costs for Stirling’s section of Beaufort Street ” north of Walcott Street ” alone tallied about $45,000.
Stirling infrastructure and community development committee meeting supported the extra expenditure at a meeting last Tuesday. The full council will make the final determination tonight.
Cr Keith Sargent said $30,000 was a ‘drop in the bucket’ in terms of value for money for an event that last year attracted about 100,000 people.
Cr Joe Ferrante said closing the busy intersection would encourage more festival patrons to explore north of Beaufort Street and would assist businesses based in the road.
He also said supporting the festival further would help Stirling debunk barbs of it being a ‘conservative council’ in terms of culture.
This year’s third Beaufort Street Festival is being planned for Saturday, November 16.
The council is also proposing $15,000 for the Osborne Park Show and $6000 for Mirrabooka’s Navratri Festival through its flagship event funding program.