Approval was given at council last week when Councillor Martin Toldo moved a motion to rescind a decision made in July to defer the application, citing the need for a carpark strategy plan.
Market organiser and Local Arts and Community Events (LACE) group member Catherine Ehrhardt said she was relieved with the decision after delays put planning on hold.
‘I don’t think council fully understand that because these markets are popping up everywhere and start of the season is usually November, if I don’t get them, then someone else does,’ she said.
‘It impacts us because there are favourite vendors the Maylands community would like to see back and I am already having some vendors saying they are already booked out on our opening night and it is quite frustrating.’
Cr Chris Cornish said the delay caused damage, with vendors going elsewhere because of uncertainty while Cr Mike Anderton said the delay was an attempt to ruin an icon for the City that was beneficial for the community.
Cr Alan Radford said he wasn’t against the markets but couldn’t support the City providing the group a skip bin and waiving event, hire and public toilet use fees.
He said if senior sporting clubs were penalised for venue hire and rubbish bins, then so should LACE, especially when its vendors make a profit.
Mrs Ehrhardt said LACE was a not-for-profit group and wanted to give the community what it wanted, putting vendor fees back into the markets.
‘Vendor fees will be going to an entertainment structure this season,’ she said.
‘A shopping aisle will be added too, which is going to be utilising the walkways where stall vendors can bring a trestle table to sell pre-packaged foods.
‘We’re trying to add more depth this season so it adds value to the local community.’
LACE will hold a quiz night on Saturday, October 25 to raise money for the markets.