JOB seekers have been urged to bring multiple copies of their resume to tomorrow’s DFO Perth jobs fair, where more than 20 retailers will be actively hunting recruits to work in their outlet stores.
To help prepare job seekers, Community News asked some of the retailers involved for the inside word on how to catch a potential employer’s eye.
A Van Heusen spokeswoman said the menswear chain would be looking for confident and passionate workers to fill a variety of casual and full-time positions.
She said retail clothing management experience was a must, menswear experience was advantageous and excellent communication and merchandising skills were important.
An Academy Brand spokesman said their store was also interested in hiring passionate retail leaders.
“We want people who love connecting and outfitting customers and delivering an amazing in store experience,” he said.
He said they will take on up to 15 staff, including some managers.
DFO Perth is set to open at Perth Airport later this year with more than 100 specialty retailers, as well as a unique selection of dining options and cafes.
People can check out the full list of positions that are up for grabs here before heading to the job fair at Ascot Racecourse from 4pm to 8pm.
10 tips for landing a gig at Van Heusen or Academy Brand
1. Read the job description to understand the core competencies relevant to the role and come prepared with examples from your most recent position
2. Be mindful of body language and communication during the interview
3. Always treat the interview as a two-way discussion
4. Ask and answer questions honestly
5. Follow up after the interview if you haven’t heard back from the organisation
1. Show initiative and be prepared to stand out from the crowd (in a relevant way)
2. Think about what you want from your next job
3. Go the extra mile (it gets noticed)
4. Be realistic in what you are wanting
5. Have fun and enjoy the process