Stirling Acting District Officer Jeremy Crawley said Bayswater and Balga were two of the suburbs hit worst with 19 residential fires between the two.
‘The most common causes of accidental house fires in Western Australia for the 2013-14 financial year were unattended cooking, heaters (too close to combustibles or electrical failure) and other household electrical failures accounting for a total of 231 incidents,’ he said. ‘For the 2013-14 financial year the estimated total loss for accidental fires was more than $40.7 million.’
Mr Crawley said while fires could occur at any time of year, there was a minor increase during winter months June to August.
‘Many house fires are accidental and preventable; always stay alert and attentive when using anything within your home that may catch alight or start a fire,’ he said. ‘If a fire starts, leave immediately and call 000.
‘Do not re-enter a burning house under any circumstances.
‘A working smoke alarm could provide the critical early warning needed to save lives and minimise damage.’
Despite the significant number of house fires, Mr Crawley said the figure had decreased from the previous financial year with 888 fires attended by the DFES.