MAYLANDS photographer Marnie Richardson clinched the inaugural photography award at the recent City of Bayswater’s Community Art Awards.
Ms Richardson used a ‘painting with light’ technique to shoot her photo titled Atlantic Poppy.
Bayswater Mayor Dan Bull bought the photo at the exhibition opening held at The Rise in Maylands on November 2.
Ms Richardson said it was a honour to have won the award.
“I have taken photos all my life, starting with little plastic film cameras,” she said.
“We did photography in high school and I remember loving the alchemy of watching an image appear in the darkroom.
“I loved it so much that for a while I had a darkroom in my house.
“I’m currently studying photography and this image was part of practicing a technique I started working with called painting with light.
“The first time I tried it, I fell in love with the way the flowers look like paintings.”
She said she was working on a series of portraits for an exhibition.
Cr Bull encouraged people to visit the exhibition to view the artworks or purchase them.
“The Community Art Awards are a long-standing tradition in Bayswater and we are consistently blown away by the level of creative talent that exists in our community,” he said.
Studio 281 owner and curator Leo Flavel has installed the artworks for the exhibition, which will run until November 16.
For information, visit Ms Richardson’s Instagram page.
List of winners
– City of Bayswater Open Award: Miik Green’s Xylem series: avium24
– Highly Commended: Matthew McAlpine’s Department of Land The VI, Rosemary Skinner’s Robert, Andy Quilty’s Dad and Alby
– Sculpture Award: Jane Button’s Navigate
– City of Bayswater Resident Award: George Linke’s Lady of the Lake
– Bayswater Art Society Member Award: Beauchamp Paine’s Exodus
– Ellis House Member Award: Laura Peden’s Baigup Wetlands
– Photography Award: Marnie Richardson’s Atlantic Poppy
– City of Bayswater Primary School Entry (Years 1 -6): Srinika Sambath Kumar’s Chasing your star dreams
– High School Entry (Years 7 -12): Finn McKenna’s Strata
– Runner Up High School Entry (Years 7 -12): Mia Antenucci’s Pieces of Papa
– Bayswater High School Entry (Years 7 -12): Miriam Lobaugh’s Absent Minded