Mr Kelly was told about the decision to build centres in Caversham and Kiara via email sent at the close of business the day before Ms Morton announced it publicly in June last year.
Ms Morton admitted at a June estimates and financial operations meeting to East Metropolitan MLC Amber-Jade Sanderson that it had been no mistake in notifying the local MLA after residents and just before the public.
She said when the Disability Justice Commission originally planned developing disability justice centres, members of the Opposition were involved but that it was clear they were going to make a ‘media stunt’ out of it.
‘At this stage, having given (Forrestfield MLA) Andrew Waddell and (North Metropolitan MLC) Ljiljanna Ravlich the opportunity to take a more measured and responsible approach to this, and having seen what occurred, I was not going to risk it again,’ Ms Morton said.
‘These people do not need to be subjected to that sort of commentary on radio or in the media in any other way, and I just was not going to risk it again. I do not apologise for that one little bit.’
Mr Kelly said this was part of a deliberate strategy to limit any adverse media coverage and it just proved why the community did not trust Ms Morton or Premier Colin Barnett on this issue.
‘The community have been deliberately kept in the dark and Ms Morton should be ashamed of herself,’ he said.
‘Ms Morton says Cabinet made the decision on the two sites on June 4, 2013, but I have Planning Commission documents that show the sites were selected by April, 26 and probably much earlier, well before the public announcement on June 11.’
The Kiara centre was scrapped this year but work has started on the Caversham centre.