Morley Man Charged with Joondalup Fire

Morley Man Charged with Joondalup Fire

A 26-year-old Morley man allegedly caused yesterday’s blaze through Joondalup with a cigarette lighter.

WA Police alleged the man was camping near Grassbird Avenue when he used a cigarette lighter to clear an area for his tent.

The fire got out of control, consumed some 12 hectares of land and caused $200,000 worth of damage to houses.

Hundreds of staff and students were evacuated from Edith Cowan University.

The Morley resident was charged with breach of duty and is set to appear in court next month.

More:

Joondalup fire: dried leaves fuelled house blaze

Fire in Joondalup during sweltering Perth weather