TOWN of Bassendean councillors have deferred their vote on a previously knocked back mobile concrete batching plant application until November after raising several concerns at last night’s council meeting.
Councillors were concerned with the unclear maximum production capacity, water contamination and dust management at the proposed site on Clune Street.
The application was rejected by Council in June but due to the State Administrative Tribunal (SAT) appeal process and further justification from the applicant, the Town was invited to reconsider.
A decision had to be made by Council on September 27 ahead of a direction hearing on September 30.
Rowe Group town planner Nathan Stewart made a deputation at the council meeting and had no definite answers to councillors’ questions about the maximum production capacity and water contaminant at the site.
The proposed plant would be located approximately 420m away from the nearest sensitive land use and could not exceed an average of 350 cubic metres of production capacity for five-and-a-half business days per year.
Mr Stewart said the average daily amount of concrete produced would fluctuate depending on the season.
He said he would go back to his client to discuss a more suitable average capacity.
Councillor Mike Lewis said the unknown capacity was concerning as the plant could potentially produce double the quota.
Cr Bob Brown said the Town cherished its rivers and was concerned about the groundwater at neighbouring Tonkin Park.
Town development manager Brian Reed said a refusal would not be “sustainable” because going against the SAT appeal would cost the Town $10,000-$50,000 in legal fees.
Mayor John Gangell said Council would consult with the City of Bayswater about the dust and environmental management it adopted for its existing plants.
Council will reconsider the application at a council meeting on November 22.