LYNWOOD Senior High School has been named the Secondary School of the Year at the WA Education Awards.
The school received the award, sponsored by Community News, at a breakfast event on November 26 at Crown.
The school is known for its student wellbeing committee, which organises case management, targeted programs and individual academic mentoring for students in need.
Meanwhile, last year’s WA Secondary School of the Year, Carine Senior High School, also topped the winners list with two awards.
Principal Damian Shuttleworth and science teacher Daniel Hugo were named WA Secondary Principal of the Year and WA Premier’s Secondary Teacher of the Year.
Other award winners include West Beechboro Primary School teacher Anthony Horn, who won the WA Premier’s Primary Teacher of the Year, Brookman Primary School (WA Primary School of the Year) and Warwick Senior High School teacher Benjamin Garnaut (WA Beginning Teacher of the Year).
Education and Training Minister Sue Ellery congratulated the winners for their achievements.
“It is a real honour to present these awards to the State’s top public schools, teachers, principals and support staff to recognise the inspirational and life changing impact they have on our students,” she said.
“Staff like Damian and Daniel provide a high quality education to so many students, helping them to achieve and setting them up for future success.
“Teaching is an admirable profession in any event, but so many of our best educators go above and beyond to provide our young people with a positive start in life, and we are truly lucky to have professionals of their calibre.”
Premier Mark McGowan said principals, teachers and school staff played an integral role in developing students in a positive way.
“A great teacher can have a powerful and enduring influence on their students,” he said.
“It is vital we recognise our standout educators for the role they play in shaping Western Australia’s next great minds.”
For information, visit education.wa.edu.au/wa-education-awards
List of winners
– WA Premier’s Primary Teacher of the Year: West Beechboro Primary School teacher Anthony Horn
– WA Premier’s Secondary Teacher of the Year: Carine Senior High School teacher Daniel Hugo
– WA Premier’s Excellence in Aboriginal Education Award: Wiluna Remote Community School
– WA Primary Principal of the Year: Kalgoorlie Primary School principal Rebecca Bope
– WA Secondary Principal of the Year: Carine Senior High School principal Damian Shuttleworth
– WA Beginning Teacher of the Year: Warwick Senior High School teacher Benjamin Garnaut
– WA Education Assistant of the Year: Aspiri Primary School education assistant Tamie Douglas
– WA Aboriginal and Islander Education Officer of the Year: Bluff Point Primary School officer Barbara Dalgety
– WA School Services Staff Member of the Year: Swan View Senior High School library officer Sally Bradley
– WA Primary School of the Year: Brookman Primary School
– WA Secondary School of the Year: Lynwood Senior High School