Warning for Perth dog owners over potentially fatal sea hares

Warning for Perth dog owners over potentially fatal sea hares
This dead spotted sea hare is similar to the one found washed up on a Dawesville beach yesterday. Picture: ‘Mike’ Michael L. Baird/Wikimedia Commons
A sea hare.
This dead spotted sea hare is similar to the one found washed up on a Dawesville beach yesterday. Picture: ‘Mike’ Michael L. Baird/Wikimedia Commons A sea hare.

The creatures can be fatal to dogs that eat or lick them.

THE RSPCA WA is warning dog owners who walk their pets along the beach to be on the lookout for toxic sea hares.

There have been a number of recent sightings of the large squid-like creatures, which wash up on the shoreline and can be fatal to dogs who lick or ingest them.

The RSPCA WA posted the warning to social media. 

Dog owners should look out for symptoms including over-excitement, tremors, seizures, drooling or vomiting.

People who think their dog has ingested a sea hare, should contact a vet.

Please share this post to help spread the message among fellow dog owners.

More information can be found at Vetwest Animal Hospitals. 

MORE: Man charged with murder over Queens Park death

MORE: Former Waroona Australia Post employee fined for mail theft

MORE: Perth’s dry May to come to a wet end

MORE: Maddington man charged over obscene acts, indecent assault