IN THE early days of settlement the Floreat area was home to a range of industries.
Lime was in great demand as a building material and in 1834 master builder Henry Trigg was granted 500 acres (203ha) of land where he established quarrying and lime-burning works.
The land, known as the Limekilns Estate, was bought by Walter Padbury in 1847, adding to his sizeable holdings.
He set up an abattoir, stock holding yards and a tannery and continued limestone operations.
The quarry and lime burning works closed in 1906 and the Perth City Council purchased the estate in 1917.
A plank road to the beach was built through the area in 1918 when the council extended Cambridge Street to The City Beach, a popular swimming place. This road eventually became Oceanic Drive.
Suburban development of the Floreat area started when lots in the Darling View Estate were offered for auction in October 1913.
In 1934 two model homes opened in Floreat Park Number 1 Estate, promoting more development.
The estate’s name was based on the motto on the Perth City Council’s Coat of Arms – Floreat – let it flourish.
The model homes set the minimum building standards for the area, with only brick and weatherboard homes allowed.
In 1936, 1000 acres (about 400ha) of land between Floreat and City Beach was set aside for a park.
It was was known as the Thousand Acre Park for many years before being renamed Bold Park in 1944 in recognition of William E Bold, the longest-serving town clerk in the Perth City Council’s history (1900 to 1944).
The 1950s were a period of expansion in Floreat Park and development was restricted to one dwelling per lot.
Perry Lakes was chosen as the site of the main stadium for the 1962 British Empire and Commonwealth Games and site works for the athletes’ village began in 1960.
Housing redevelopment commenced in 2010 and the stadium was demolished in 2012. n