Cockburn councillors put road block on Roe 8 survey

Cockburn councillors put road block on Roe 8 survey

THERE will be no community poll on Roe 8 after a bid to have one held was voted down by City of Cockburn councillors on Thursday night.

Councillor Steve Portelli put forward a motion recommending the City survey 1000 residents in each of its three wards about their opinion on the scrapped extension of Roe Highway to Stock Road.

“If we were to go back to the State Government and say the majority of Cockburn residents support Roe 8, I can give you the tip they would take notice,” he said.

But Cr Lee-Anne Smith said it was too little too late, claiming Cr Portelli was “deluding” residents with suggestions the road had any chance of going ahead.

“There’s no chance. It’s gone. It’s too late,” she said.

“I’m not going to put forward $14,400 of ratepayer money towards an opportunity for a poll for a road that does not exist.”

Councillors voted Cr Portelli’s motion down 5-1, before backing a recommendation from governance and community services director Don Green that a survey not be held and for the City to monitor rehabilitation of the Roe 8 work site.

A proposal for a poll was last rejected by City councillors in November.

At the time, councillors backed a recommendation from Cr Portelli who suggested the City not commission a survey.

He said he had not supported the previous consideration because the proposed poll question was worded to minimise support for Roe 8 and because contracts had already been signed by the previous State Government to begin work.

Labor scrapped the Roe 8 project after coming into power at the March State Election, with remediation of the cleared land started.

MORE: Teen suffers chemical burns after making ‘slime’

MORE: Off-duty police officer on morning walk arrests two women

MORE: Man charged over incident involving 12-year-old girl