In a survey on the City’s website, officials want to know how people perceive the barrier, with questions about whether it offers a safe swimming option and whether it might cause damage to the environment.
The survey would also be used to determine what percentage of the barrier’s use came from people visiting from outside Cockburn.
Cockburn councillor Kevin Allen, who has for a barrier for several years, said he was pleased to have it open to the public.
‘I feel really vindicated for first proposing the idea in 2011, then 2012 and finally earlier in 2013,’ he said.
‘Consistently, over the past four weeks since the barrier was installed, I have witnessed on a daily basis at least 85 per cent of beach users swimming inside the barrier. The Facebook comments are also extremely encouraging.’
Mr Allen said the barrier allowed people to feel more comfortable in the water at night. ‘Its far better to be proactive and be safe rather than sorry,’ he said.
The survey closes on April 30.