Centre manager Leanne Chaproniere said last September that the project would be completed by October 2014 and after showing the Gazette through the development last Thursday afternoon, she reaffirmed the Perron Group’s $100 million investment was on target to meet the deadline.
‘The redevelopment of Cockburn Gateway is an exciting project with building works on schedule and ready for an October launch,’ she said.
‘Momentum is certainly increasing interest as the building works are underway. A lot of detailed planning and discussions with key stakeholders and retailers will ensure that the shopping centre delivers customer expectations.’
Completion of stage three will bring with it a host of improvements for the precinct including a second-level car park, a 450-bay underground car park, 70 new specialty stores, restaurants, office space and a piazza.
Target is one department chain known to have leased space within stage three, but centre management was tight-lipped about other retailers to have signed on.
Work also began yesterday on stage one of the centre’s internal car park realignment. The process will involve a number of steps, all to be completed before opening day in October.
One of the big plusses from the realignment is the installation of a roundabout at the intersection in front of the Gate Bar and Bistro.
Ms Chaproniere said commuters should expect delays if they are to use the area, urging drivers to instead utilise the traffic lights on Wentworth Parade which were installed late last year.
‘The internal roads are shopping centre roads,’ she said.
‘Taking into consideration the extensive works being undertaken in the car park during this time we ask local residents to use Wentworth Parade and other arterial roads, rather than using centre as a bypass road.’