How a rescued greyhound found her forever home

Alanna Christiansen and rescued greyhound Ivy. Picture: Andrew Ritchie
Alanna Christiansen and rescued greyhound Ivy. Picture: Andrew Ritchie

IT was love at first site for Fremantle woman Alanna Christiansen and rescued greyhound Ivy.

Ivy was rescued from the Macau Canidrome racing facility in China after a seven-year international campaign to close the track down due to poor animal welfare.

Of the 532 dogs rescued from the facility, five have arrived in Perth to their forever home.

More: Dogs on leash at Samson Park

Rescued greyhound Ivy. Picture: Supplied

Ms Christiansen said it had been a long journey for her greyhound which she believed had been exported to Macau before the age of two.

“Ivy was exported after Australia’s racing industry peak body Greyhounds Australasia placed a ban on exports to the facility, she was unauthorised,” she said.

“Any dog can be exported as airlines don’t know if it’s a pet, it was only after Animals Australia exposed the Macau facility that Qantas and Cathay Airlines refused to ship greyhounds.

“Ivy was only allowed out five minutes a day for a walk, otherwise she was kept in a kennel.”

Dogs who failed to place in five consecutive races were killed. The facility was closed in July.

Fine threat for owners of dogs that run free

Rescued greyhound Ivy. Picture: Supplied
Alanna Christiansen and rescued greyhound Ivy. Picture: Andrew Ritchie

Local and international rescue centres then took ownership of the dogs.

Ms Christiansen, who is a Greyhound Adoption WA committee member has a rescue greyhound named Max from the WA racing industry.

She said she spent a week with Ivy in March in Macau.

“I’ve been fostering on and off for the last four years,” she said.

“Max was my third foster and as soon as he came in I knew I was going to keep him.

“When I met Ivy her temperament was perfect for us, I guess it was love at first sight.

“When you see a dog in the neglected situation you just want to love them.”

Ivy arrived from quarantine on Friday night and her owner said she had been in foster care for two months but still gaining her confidence.

“At the Cannidrome they would get a walk for five minutes twice a day and then back in the kennel,” she said.

“When out of her kennel she was in shock, she just looked at the ground and didn’t know what to do.

“That’s where she is at but she is happy and quite affectionate.”

More news

Pet bunny colony rescued in Perth 

Council puts dogs on a tight leash

Perth’s worst suburbs for animal cruelty