Aleisha Wood returned home about 7pm on Australia Day after celebrating her daughter’s first birthday to find her pet dog Evie lying in the backyard.
“I thought something was up when she didn’t come to the gate to greet us,” Ms Wood said.
“I found her around the back convulsing, foaming at the mouth and she had lost control of her bowel.”
Evie was cooled down under cold water before being rushed to emergency vet service WAVES in Success, where she had her stomach pumped.
It was then vets confirmed the dog had consumed snail baits.
On Thursday, Evie was transferred to another clinic on South Street to continue treatment.
While glad to see her dog improving, Ms Wood was concerned her pet could be left with long-term health effects after being deliberately poisoned. She said the family did not own snail pellets.
“It’s devastating. We’re sick to our stomachs,” she said.
“We don’t understand how someone could do that.”
Vet bills last Friday already totalled $5000 and that is likely to grow, with Evie’s blood tests showing extra hospital stays are needed.
The family has set up a GoFundMe page to help cover costs.
To donate, go to www.gofundme.com and search “Evie girls recovery”.
Ms Wood has contacted police and witnesses who saw people acting suspiciously around Osprey Drive are being sought.