Search called off for elderly man overboard on Sun Princess cruise ship

Search called off for elderly man overboard on Sun Princess cruise ship

A SEARCH and rescue operation for an elderly passenger who had fallen overboard on the Sun Princess cruise ship has been called off.

A Carnival Australia spokeswoman said Princess Cruises had confirmed it had called the operation off after the Australian passenger in his 80s went overboard on its way to Port Kelang.

The ship is about 100 nautical miles south east of Singapore on a 12-day voyage from Fremantle to Singapore. It departed on May 13.

The spokeswoman said Princess Cruises’ “thoughts and prayers were with the man’s family and friends in this very tragic circumstance.”

Indonesian search and rescue authorities tonight released the Sun Princess, whose crew had searched until dark for the man.

A Perth resident on board tweeted that the captain had told passengers that CCTV footage had confirmed the man went overboard.

He said the captain turned the ship back and has arrived back at the point where the passenger went overboard. Fast rescue vessels had been launched and the ship conducted a square search pattern.