EAST FREMANTLE surfer Moses Le Grice could not find the waves to deliver him a wildcard entry into this week’s Margaret River Pro.
Le Grice was bundled out in the second round of the trials against eventual winner Dave Delroy-Carr at Surfer’s Point on Tuesday, with his 5.35 score not enough to overcome the Margaret River local who earned 14 points from two solid rides.
“I just fell out of rhythm,” Le Grice said.
“It was hard finding the right waves.”
It was a tame end to his Margaret River adventure after his promising first-round heat win over local Jerome Forrest and Cottesloe’s Jake Edwards.
Le Grice had only arrived in town Monday night, having driven down straight after his class at Curtin University.
He was back in Perth Tuesday afternoon and said he was now focusing on his next Qualifying Series (QS) competition in Indonesia next week.
“(The trials) were humbling, having so many good surfers there,” he said.
“It was good to have that opportunity.
“I learnt heaps – I know it will take time.”
Delroy-Carr will compete in his first World Surf League (WSL) Championship Tour (CT) event after claiming the trials final, while runner up Kael Walsh also earned a spot after Jeremy Flores withdrew to be with his family after the birth of his first baby.
In the women’s trials, Mikaela Greene defeated fellow Yallingup local Claire Bevilacqua to earn a main draw spot.
“I’ve been watching the Pro since I was a girl and I’m really on cloud nine right now,” Greene said.
“I’ve never surfed in a CT event before and surfing Main Break is a challenge but I think winning a few QS events has been a good stepping stone.”
Surfing WA Event Director Justin Majeks said a light offshore breeze and a 4- to 6-foot swell provided the best trial conditions in recent years.
“Margaret River turned it on today. Despite a few patches of rain, the surf conditions were amazing,” he said.
Unfortunately the conditions did not last, with the opening of the Pro called off until Friday.
“We have a large swell approaching Friday into Saturday and then no shortage of residual swell in the following days,” WSL commissioner Kieren Perrow said.
“Knowing this, we can hold and make another call once that swell has arrived.
“For now, we will wait for the waves and update the call on Friday morning.”