Gazette sport review: Bulldogs upset Peel in WAFL, mixed weekend for Cougars in SBL and Cockburn City suffers shock NPL WA defeat

The Cockburn Cougar women went down to the Perry Lake Hawks in a close game on Friday night.
The Cockburn Cougar women went down to the Perry Lake Hawks in a close game on Friday night.


Cockburn Cougars men squandered a double-digit lead to go down to the Perry Lake Hawks at home on Friday night.

Up 16 points halfway through the third quarter, missed shots and a reliance on the three-point shot, which the Cougars only sunk 11 from 28, proved their downfall.

The Hawks nudged ahead with just two minutes left on the clock and the Cougars just could not get the lead back, going down 97-90.

It was a dampener on the club’s first home game of the year and the raising of its 2016 premiership flag in front of a full house.

Import Jalen Billups scored 23 points and brought down eight rebounds while Lochlan Cummings top scored with 25 points, but he was one of the culprits of poor three-point shooting, hitting just two of nine.

The Cougars did not make the same mistake on Saturday night, holding on to a strong lead to down Stirling 84-68 thanks to 20 points from Billups.

The Cougar women also went down to the Hawks in a close game, losing 66-61.

Despite a brief period at the end of the first where the Cougars led, they were playing catch-up all night.

The Hawks pushed the lead out to as much as 14 points in the third before a spirited comeback from the Cougars cut the lead to just one before they ran out of time.

Brianna Moyes top scored with 22 points while local product Isabelle Miotti was the only other player to reach double digits, sinking 18.

The winless women also backed up on Saturday night with an away game against Stirling, going down 86-76.

Kersten Mitchell played a huge game scoring 31 points and bringing down seven rebounds while Moyes scored 17.

Across town, Lakeside Lightning had a double celebration on Friday night, with both teams recording wins against Kalamunda Eastern Suns.

The women kicked it off with a 76-70 win thanks to a 21-point haul from Ali Schwagmeyer and the men backed it up two hours later with a 92-87 win.

Import James Padgett again proved instrumental for the Lightning with a game high 24 points and was supported well by fellow import Devon Atkinson with 18.


South Fremantle halted Peel’s perfect start to 2017 with a 43-point win at Rushton Park on Saturday.

The Bulldogs won every quarter against the 2016 premiers on their way to a 12.14 (86) to 5.13 (43) result which moved them up to fourth spot on the WAFL table and within striking distance of top place.

Cory Dell’Olio was the star man up forward with four goals.

Mason Shaw kicked three majors while Brendan Verrier, Blaine Johnson, Ryan Cook, Jason Maskos and Ashton Hams also hit the scoreboard.

Hams was the visitors’ major ball winner with 34 disposals to go with his goal.

He added 10 marks, two tackles and four inside 50s to a pretty complete game.

Peel struggled to find a dominant target in its forward 50, with five individual goal-scorers.

Matt Taberner struggled for accuracy finishing with 1.5.

That came a week after he put his hand up for an AFL recall by booting five straight against East Fremantle.

Harley Balic looks close to an AFL debut with the 20-year-old gathering 30 touches.

He has averaged 30 disposals across the opening three games of the season.


WASPS proved too strong for Fremantle Hockey Club’s premier men in what was a high scoring game at Perth Hockey Stadium on Friday night.

Five goals were scored in the first half, with the WASPS going into the break 3-2 up.

They never looked like giving up their lead in the second, cementing the win with another two goals to take out the game 5-3.

Fremantle’s Mark Ellis scored twice, while Veeran Morar also found the back of the net.


Cockburn City suffered its second loss of the NPL WA campaign after ECU Joondalup breached its usually watertight defence four times.

The 4-0 loss on Saturday was a bitter pill to swallow for the fourth-placed hosts, with ECU arriving at Dalmatinac Park having notched just one win over the opening six rounds.

The visitors were ahead at the break with Scottish striker Gordon Smith on target.

Smith added a second after the break before substitute James Owen and Ben Johns gave Dale McCulloch’s side the three points.

With six first team players unavailable, McCulloch was pleased with the way his young side adapted to the outs.

“(I’m) really proud of the performance from the lads,” he said.

“All the players who came in today put in good shifts.

“It was their opportunity to show me what they are about and they never let me down.”

ECU goalkeeper Fraser Greenwood said he was pleased to keep his first clean sheet of the season.

“All the coaches have been on my case about getting a clean sheet, so to finally get one will give us confidence going forward,” he said.

“We had some big outs in the side today and massive congratulations to the young lads that came in and stepped up on their first team debuts and they really did the job for us.”