Gazette sport round up: Dogs and Sharks suffer WAFL defeats, Cockburn denied win in NPL WA, plus SBL and hockey

Matt Taberner kicked five goals as Peel Thunder dominated East Fremantle by 86 points. Picture Phil Elliott/ PixEll Photography
Matt Taberner kicked five goals as Peel Thunder dominated East Fremantle by 86 points. Picture Phil Elliott/ PixEll Photography


COCKBURN Cougars are on the board in season 2017 after a win on Friday night.

Jalen Billups scored a match-high 39 points to lead the 2016 champions to an 89-81 win over Willetton Tigers at the Willetton Basketball Stadium.

Lakeside Lightning moved to a 2-1 record after an 86-79 win over the Mandurah Magic at home on Friday.

Devon Atkinson led the Lightning with 25 points.

In the women’s division, Lakeside fell to Mandurah by 10 points.

The Lightning lost 87-77, despite 21 points from Sydnee Fipps.

The Cougars remain winless after two rounds after falling to Willetton 96-87.


East Fremantle’s tough start to the season has continued after going down to Peel Thunder by 86-points at Rushton Park on Saturday.

The 2016 premiers hardly gave the visiting Sharks a look-in, leading by six goals at half time before piling on the pressure to win 19.12 (126) to 5.10 (40).

Fremantle-listed forward Matt Taberner kicked five goals to put his name in the ring for an AFL recall in round 2, while speedster Leroy Jetta also kicked five in the dominant display.

Harley Balic led all other for disposals by collecting 33 and kicking one goal.

For the Sharks, Jayden Schofield collected 35 touches.

It was a tough round for South Fremantle too, falling to Swan Districts by 21 points at Bassendean Oval.

Trailing by 41 points at the final change, the Bulldogs kicked the final three goals of the game to ultimately lose 13.7 (85) to 8.16 (64).

Former Dockers midfielder Ryan Crowley kicked three goals for Swans, while David Ellard kicked one goal to go with his team-high 24 disposals.

Brendan Verrier collected 34 disposals for the Bulldogs, with Haiden Schloithe finishing with 31 and eight inside 50s.

Steven Edwards kicked two goals.


Fremantle Hockey Club’s premier men got their season off to the perfect start, defeating UWA 2-1 on Saturday afternoon.

It was a tight tussle for the first half an hour of the match before Fremantle’s James McPherson scored a field goal to send Fremantle 1-0 up.

Matt Bird made it 2-0 in the 55th minute after he too managed to convert a field goal before UWA clawed one back ten minutes later.


An injury time goal to Joondalup United put a damper on Cockburn City’s run to a fourth win in the National Premier Leagues WA.

It was all Cockburn in the first half, Gian Albano putting it 1-0 up after just eight minutes before Harry O’Brien made it 2-0 just before the half-time break.

The competition newcomers fought back in the second half though, Joondalup managing to find the back of the net in the 52nd minute and again in the second minute of overtime, ensuring a 2-2 draw.

Cockburn City coach Scott Miller said he had few complaints, despite the last-minute draw.

“Really disappointed with that second half effort; we stole a point,” he said.

“First half we bossed them, second half they bossed us and to be honest they’re unlucky not to sneak a win.”

Yellow cards to Cockburn’s David Araya, Liam Murray and Calvin Whitney compounded the disappointing result.

Despite the result, Cockburn City remains fourth on the NPL WA ladder after six rounds, three points behind leaders Sorrento.