Weekend sport: East Freo shock Subi in WAFL, SBL action and more

Liam Anthony leads East Fremantle off Leederville Oval after the Sharks beat Subiaco by 80 points. Picture: Phil Elliott/ PixEll Photography
Liam Anthony leads East Fremantle off Leederville Oval after the Sharks beat Subiaco by 80 points. Picture: Phil Elliott/ PixEll Photography

WAFL Round 8

EAST Fremantle pulled off the shock of the WAFL season by demolishing premiership fancies Subiaco by 80 points on Saturday.

Adding to the spectacular result was the fact the Sharks did it at Leederville Oval, a venue where the Lions had not lost since round three, 2015.

The Sharks dominated the first term seven goals to two and from there were never headed, winning every quarter.

Sharks midfielder Liam Anthony led all others for disposals with 35, while Jack Perham, George Hampson, Sean Henson, Brock O’Brien, Tim Bristow, Ryan Lester-Smith and Dion Anthony all had 20 or more in the 18.12 (120) to 6.4 (40) win.

Josh Simpson had a solid outing with 20 disposals and three goals, while veteran Brett Peake also bagged three majors.

Subiaco sharpshooter Hamish Shepheard was kept goalless by the Sharks defence although Liam Ryan booted two majors on debut.

Kyal Horsley gathered 27 disposals, supported by Adam Cockie (21), Brett Robinson (20) and Lachlan Delahunty (21).

The win moved the Sharks into third place.

Subiaco’s loss proved a bonus for South Fremantle with the Bulldogs able to leapfrog the Lions into first place.

The Bulldogs had trailed by four goals in the last term but stormed home to record an eight-point win over Claremont, 12.13 (85) to 12.5 (77).

Blaine Johnson and Mason Shaw bagged three goals each, while skipper Ryan Cook kicked two and gathered a team high 30 disposals.

For Claremont Jack Bradshaw booted five goals, while Jye Bolton recorded 34 disposals.

Elsewhere West Perth moved into the top five after beating Peel Thunder 8.10 (58) to 5.11 (41) and Perth notched up win number two for season 2016 after defeating Swan Districts 14.11 (95) to 8.6 (54).

State Basketball League Round 8

Najee Lane, Marcus Goode and Gavin Field scored big to help Cockburn to its third straight win in SBL action over the weekend.

Lane drained a team-high 31 points to help Cockburn notch up a 110 to 94 win over the East Perth Eagles at the Morley Sport and Recreation Centre.

Goode chimed in with 29 points and Field 27.

For the Eagles, Thomas Korf scored 32 points and former Cougar Rhys Vague 22.

Lakeside Lightning sits just outside the top eight after losing to the Mandurah Magic on Friday.

Daniel Alexander hit 23 points but it was not enough to stop his side recording its sixth loss of the season.

The Lightning fell 91 to 83.

In the women’s division Cockburn is now on a three-game winning streak.

Candace Williams was outstanding with 37 points, leading her side to an 80 to 65 point win over East Perth on Saturday.

The Lakeside Lightning are also in fine form after recording their second win on the trot on Friday.

*THE Red Dust Heelers will be playing for the 2016 Woolkabunning Kiaka Cup this weekend.

Members of the National Wheelchair Basketball League, the Heelers will be taking on the Wollongong Rollerhawks in a two-game competition for the cup.

The games will be held at Wally Hagan Stadium in Hamilton Hill at 5pm May 14 and 10am May 15.


Fremantle moved to the summit of the Promotion 1 hockey table following a tight win over former ladder leaders Hale.

Fremantle’s top female side held on 2-1, improving their season record to four wins and two draws after six matches.

They next play Southern River on Sunday.

In the men’s top division, Fremantle moved to three wins and three losses after suffering defeat in its round seven match on Friday.

The Magpies were beaten 4-1 by Hale.

Fremantle next play Victoria Park at the Perth Hockey Stadium on Sunday.


Cockburn City was not good enough to stop a winless Subiaco from snatching their first point of the season over the weekend.

Cockburn was staring down the barrel of their sixth loss of the season after Subiaco opened the scoring with a penalty in the ninth minute.

It was only an Angel Andres special that saw the home team avoid defeat, instead finishing the game with a 1-1 draw.

Cockburn coach Scott Millar said he was not happy with what he saw on the pitch.

“It was a horrible game to be honest, we were not at the races today,” he said.

“We had the worst thing happen to us when we gave them an early goal and then they just sat back and defended.

“I think we were good until we got into the final area, but they defended with ten players so we had to deliver a good ball.

“But unfortunately our crossing, final pass and finishing wasn’t where we wanted it to be but at least we got away without a loss.”

Cockburn next play Perth on May 21.