WAFL players will don blue armbands this Saturday to honour men who have lost their lives to prostate cancer.
The Know Your Score Round is the result of the league teaming up with Prostate Cancer Foundation Australia as part of this month’s Men’s Health Week.
It aims to encourage men to talk to their doctor about prostate cancer, as well as other major diseases they may be at risk of developing such as heart disease, lung cancer and stroke.
Before bouncedown at the televised Perth-East Fremantle game at Lathlain Park, 250 blue balloons will be released to represent the number of men who die from prostate cancer in WA every year.
Know Your Score patron Glen Jakovich said it was crucial everyone kept on top of their health.
“Being a professional athlete, I know the importance of being proactive about your health and wellbeing,” he said.
“I have been touched by cancer in my family, and I want to do everything possible to be here to watch my children grow up.”
This Saturday’s fixtures:
Perth v East Fremantle – Lathlain Park 1.40pm (Live on 7Mate, KIX Digital).
Subiaco v Claremont – Leederville Oval 2.15pm (HFM 107.3FM).
Peel v Swan Districts – Rushton Park 2.15pm (SportFM 91.3FM).
West Perth v South Fremantle – Arena Joondalup 2.15pm (720 ABC & Grandstand Digital).
– Know Your Score is also being supported this year by the whole WA football community including the WAAFL, WACFL, WAWFL, junior clubs and AFL Masters.
– The Know Your Score app can be downloaded for free at the Apple and Google Play stores and those who sign up will be in the running to win great prizes, including WAFL tickets and vouchers.
– Prostate Cancer is the most common cancer in Australian men.
– Across Australia nine men each day die from the disease.
– Go to www.knowyourscore.org.au to make a donation.