DETAILED design and statutory approvals will be sought for the first stage of the City of South Perth’s $7.5 million Connect South Masterplan after council endorsed it last week.
The first stage of the plan will focus on improving the Mends Street foreshore and surrounding precinct with the draft including upgrades such as planting a Bosque of 20 8m trees, resurfacing Harper Terrace, increasing lighting and public art and installing a piazza.
With ranging views from ‘the draft is a complete over development of a beautiful and tranquil part of South Perth’ to ‘it is a long overdue revamp’, the general consensus by about 100 residents that attended a council briefing on April 17, remained that the foreshores vistas needed to be protected from ill placed trees like those of the Bosque .
With a $2.5 million Federal Government grant at stake, council stood firm in endorsing Mayor Sue Doherty’s alternative motion to approve the first stage works, 6-1.
However, the motion did include a caveat that the Bosque be supported in principal, with its exact features to be given further consideration before finalisation in the detailed design phase.
“There is scope within the detailed design stages of the project to change and revisit the designated area in the Masterplan that was being called the Bosque, which has caused a lot of contention,” Ms Doherty said.
“The purpose of this space is integral to the overall design; this particular space within the broader context of the project provides a contrast in offering natural space for shade and informal social interaction.
“The City will continue to engage with effected property owners, following which detailed design options will be presented to councillors for workshopping in time to enable the project to go to tender and meet contractual obligations.”
A South Perth Foreshore Group spokesman said members would be taking time to digest and discuss the resolution when the council minutes are released before determining any further actions.