A TWO-YEAR 40km/h speed limit trial will start in various City of Vincent streets at the end of April.
Speed limits in residential streets bounded by Newcastle, Vincent and Charles streets and the Swan River will be reduced from April 29.
In July last year, the City asked for feedback on the trial and 57.4 per cent of the 392 respondents supported a two-year trial.
Mayor Emma Cole said the survey revealed two main concerns – making streets safer for all road users and enhancing the neighbourhood feel of streets.
“We hope this trial demonstrates safer, more welcoming streets where people are more likely to ride and walk and kids feel safe playing outdoors,” Ms Cole said.
“Research in other areas has shown that lowered speed limits make streets safer for all road users, contribute to more connected communities, reduce greenhouse gas emissions and only have a minor impact on average journey times.
“We’d like to put that research to the test and see if lowered speeds can have a similar impact in Vincent.”
After the consultation, a working party involving the City, Road Safety Commission, Main Roads WA, Department of Transport, WA Police, WA Local Government Association, RAC WA and the Department of Fire and Emergency Services was established to oversee the trial’s implementation.