Their reason was that the proposal ” to demolish the dwelling on the corner of Vincent and Alfonso streets and construct a three-storey residential multiple dwelling development in its place ” complied with council regulations.
Long-time Vincent Street resident Pippa Newby told Guardian Express she was concerned objections and petitions relating to the loss of the landscape in this area had been disregarded.
‘One big three-storey, seven-unit construction will be placed in an elevated position next to four 100-year-old well-maintained residences on this block,’ she said.
‘I personally foresee the demise of my 100-year-old family home and all its history. Perth’s bulldozer mentality will cause us to lose what little history we have ” it wouldn’t happen in London or Paris.
‘Higher density near the city is a sensible concept and there are many tasteful developments where the buildings compliment each other and create a satisfying streetscape. Such developments are great, but there is no need to ruin this patch of charming houses.’
Mrs Newby added that several of her neighbours were unhappy their houses would be ‘overlooked and overshadowed by this one bulky building’ and that it did not gel with surrounding homes.
At last Tuesday’s council meeting, Councillor Josh Topelberg said when he first saw the plan he thought it was ‘too much’ for the site but now considered it ‘pioneering’ as this was the right place for such a multiple dwelling.
Mayor John Carey said residents needed to help council put in place heritage protection if thy wanted history preserved.
‘I find this development pretty dull but that’s not a reason for me to vote against it,’ he added.
Cr Emma Cole said although there was ‘a lot of passion and pain’ from local residents regarding this item she would not refuse the development.