Gas cooker blunder caused Perth fireball

A registered gas fitter has been fined after he connected a cooker to the wrong gas supply at a Perth apartment. Picture: File image
A registered gas fitter has been fined after he connected a cooker to the wrong gas supply at a Perth apartment. Picture: File image

A REGISTERED gas fitter has been fined after he connected a cooker to the wrong gas supply at a Perth apartment, causing a fireball to erupt when the tenant used the appliance, singeing her hair.

The man, who was not named by the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety because he was granted a spent conviction in Perth Magistrates Court, installed the natural gas cooker to an LPG source.

He overlooked two labels identifying its gas type as LPG or propane, and was fined $8500, with Energy Safety director Saj Abdoolakhan saying the woman could have been seriously hurt or killed.

More to come