HIGHGATE residents will continue their long-running battle against a proposed five-level apartment complex on Wright Street, which will soon come before the State Administrative Tribunal (SAT).
In November, the Guardian Express reported that locals had collected more than 130 signatures on a petition against the proposal.
Then Vincent mayor John Carey said the plan was “too much for the site” and “unable to meet the landscape requirement, the setbacks or the plot ratio”.
Vincent chief executive Len Kosova said the Metro West Joint Development Assessment Panel (JDAP) refused the application on December 15 last year “in line with the City of Vincent’s recommendation”.
Application proponents Momentum Wealth have appealed the refusal to the State Administrative Tribunal (SAT).
Highgate resident Toby Whincup said Momentum Wealth had “not previously been willing to engage in consultation with the community” but had employed a public relations firm.
Momentum held a presentation last week at Forrest Park Croquet Club for residents. Mr Whincup said attendees advised him the company did not adequately address concerns about height, bulk and scale.
Residents group “Right For Wright” met last night to discuss their strategy.
Mr Whincup said that on Tuesday, April 4, there will be a SAT-run meeting on site, with local residents, members of the JDAP and Vincent Council, and company representatives.
Mr Kosova said Vincent’s role in the appeal was only to provide advice to the JDAP where required.
“If SAT decides to overturn the JDAP’s decision, then only the JDAP can contest the SAT’s decision,” he said.
Guardian Express has contacted Momentum for comment.