Dredging works at the site started this week, which will create five new navigation channels within the Swan River and widen existing paths to allow boats to enter the future inlet.
The works will allow both Transperth ferries and recreational vehicles access to the inlet, berths on the eastern side of Barrack Street jetty, a berth for the Duyfken tall ship and an extension of the Mends Street channel.
‘The public can expect to see two excavators on barges working simultaneously until March, with secondary barges for transport of the sediment,’ Mr Kinsella said.
He said dredging material would be transferred to another site for potential reuse or deposited to a landfill treatment facility. Work started last year on building the 2.7 hectare inlet, with a continuous wall creating an exclusion zone for the site.
The $2.6 billion project will also see Riverside Drive diverted around the Quay from January 28.
‘The redirection of Riverside Drive will enable a move away from higher volume, higher speed roads to lower speed, shared-use city centre roads that are safer for cyclists and pedestrians and generally more comfortable for city works, residents and tourists,’ Mr Kinsella said.
In late summer, work starts on Barrack Street Jetty to accommodate the development of a 5-star hotel at the site.