Pest control fumigation gases leaked at Royal Perth Hospital

File pic.
File pic.

THERE was an emergency of a different kind at Royal Perth Hospital overnight after reports of potentially dangerous gases being leaked.

It is believed a pest control fumigation was being carried out in a medical records room when a security guard unknowingly opened the door.

The gases set off a fire alarm about 11.30pm, sparking a large response from firefighters, including the Hazmat team.

The all clear was given by 1am and no patients had to be evacuated.

Seven staff members were checked by doctors as a precaution but were also given the all clear.

The incident did however cause delays in the emergency department with paramedics having to wait longer to admit patients.

Everything is back to normal this morning.